Monday, May 16, 2011

DIY Photo Plaques

For Mother's Day this year, I decided to get crafty and make some photo gifts of little man for his grandmothers.  My inspiration were these DIY Picture Plaques:


I fell in love with this project when I saw it, and the link above provides very detailed instructions on how to do this. 

Here is how my project turned out:




Some notes on my project:

*I, too, used the website http://www.picnik.com/ to edit the photos.  I LOVE this site and I'm sure I will be using it quite a bit going forward!!
*I initially wanted these to be 8x12, however the only way I was told I could do this would be to print them 4x6 or 5x7 and blow them up.  I tried this and the pixelation was too grainy for 8x12, so I stuck with 5x7 photo plaques.
*I had my husband cut the wood for me to mount the photos onto.  It gave him an excuse to use some of his tools :)
*I didn't use the brushstroke mod podge, but I think the regularly mod podge gave somewhat of a  brushstroke effect.
*I applied 4 coats to mine and then attached sawtooth picture hangers that I had purchased at Lowe's.


This makes for one-of-a-kind, affordable, and beautiful wall art, and the possibilities are endless!!